Thursday, July 31, 2008

vow of silence

Today I arrived at Saun Mukkh, which is a Buddhist silent meditation retreat center. It is located an hr. outside of Surratthani, which is in south Thailand. This monastery is an international retreat center for people wanting to learn Vippasanna meditation and Buddhism. It is located in the middle of a beautiful forest 1 1/2 km from civilization, so it is very quiet. Upon my arrival I was interviewed, and accepted. I paid my fee and received a key to my individual room, which looks like a cell, but it faces a lovely garden. In my room was an elevated concrete slab with a bamboo mat on it and a wooden pillow. I am to sleep like the Buddha. Hmmmmm.... I laid on it to try it out, and the pillow was very uncomfortable, but I got use to it, and it became a little comfortable after a while. I was given a sarong to use while I bathe from the water basin; Thai style. Everything is very conservative and simple here.
I was later informed by the staff that besides my daily morning karma: sweeping the breakfast hall for an hr., that I would also lead the 5 a.m. yoga classes for the 80 attendees. OK. This challenge to teach to a group who has taken a vow of silence will teach me to instruct with mindfulness and consideration to preserve the quiet and stillness within. It is the only opportunity I will have to speak in this retreat, other than to the monk from day 3-8 for 15 min. IF I have a problem.
I signed a contract saying I would kill no living things, i.e. mosquitoes, centipedes, ants, etc..., that I wouldn't speak, write, or read for the 10 days, wake up everyday at 4 a.m., and that I would be open minded to the Buddhist teachings, meditations, schedule, and lifestyle, even if it wasn't for me I would at least welcome the experience and try something new.
I can do that. :) 4 a.m. will be hard, but I can do it! Really I can, mom! hahaha!
The retreat center asked that we turn in all cell phones, I-pods, books, and journals, including any other distractions to the staff to be locked in a safe. I did.
The monks tend to an organic garden, and all of our vegetarian meals are from this garden. The food that is not eaten is given to the animals, and the peels and skins left over from the fruit is turned into compost and recycled back into the earth. :) Today for lunch I had coconut water with coconut meat chunks to drink, cabbage and cucumber, and vegetables with rice. It was delicious!
Deciding to do this retreat may seem unusual to many people I know, but I know I am meant to experience this, and after detox I feel ready to cleanse my mind and put it in a peaceful state. They say that if you want to form a new habit you should do something for 21 days for it to stick and take effect. For 7 days during my detox I woke up early, focused on my breath, did yoga and meditated everyday, so after this 10 days that will be 17/21. New healthy habits are forming. :D Oh, and although we cannot speak, we are encouraged to embrace life, become inspired by and notice the little things, and smile often.

No comments: