Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nha Trung

I arrived yesterday after a 12 hr. sleeping bus ride, which was hell on wheels, because I received little sleep due to my head vibrating from the poor conditions of the road. I found myself next to a lovely and very tall English man from South Hampton named Michael who I shared my Ipod with. We listened to Erykah Badu, Radiohead, and Beck before I fell asleep for a spell on and off. After a break around midnight he and his friend re-boarded the bus with a bottle of rum, so we had a drink and rock and rolled along the bumpy bus late in the night on the dark streets in southern Vietnam. A few times when he thought I was sleeping he pulled the covers over my shoulders to ensure my comfort and warmth. I appreciated that. It's a pleasure to meet good natured caring people when you travel.
When Christina and I arrived early morning we ran into our diving friends: Kelly and Rhys, who had already booked us for 2 dives for $40 dollars/$652,000 Dong, and we left immediately. The boat trip wasn't too long, and the sea breeze woke me up immediately. We arrived to Putty Island and started our decent on the first dive. The visibility at this location was fair and we didn't see much marine life. I found out later it was because the dive master selfishly led us to this site to spot a rare clouded ghost fish, which we never saw, and I could have cared less about. It was my first time I was required to wear a wet suit, and I hope it was the last. A person gets really spoiled scuba diving in Mexico and the Caribbean where the water is warm and clear! The first dive was in San Carlos, Mexico and is still by far the best dive ever. The main reason is because I shared the experience with my dad, and my initial reason to scuba dive was to overcome a fear of deep water, which I finally conquered. On that dive my dad and I saw a pilot whale, a pod of 200 dolphin, a 3 ft. long rock fish, sea otters, jellyfish, etc... It was amazing!
So after my first dive in Nha Thrung I was a bit disappointed, but the second dive redeemed itself. On the second dive the water wasn't nearly as cold, and I saw the most interesting coral formations, some of which looked like living stones! I saw 3 ft long bright yellow trumpet fish, puffers, spotted morray eels, needlefish, parrotfish(which I love), and so many specimens of fish that were gorgeous and uniquely Asian. The coral reefs were the big attraction. I wish I could have taken pictures. I had a ball swimming around and enjoying all the life around me.
I wish I had know that while I was enjoying my dive that my wallet on board was being robbed for $200 dollars/$3 Mil. Dong. :( I only just realized what had happened today, and it is a loss I just have to swallow unfortunately. Luckily my passport was with the hotel, and my camera was not taken. I just let the dive shop know. They were of course upset, and I'm on my way now to file a police report so that my travel insurance can compensate my loss.
The dive was lovely and I'm so glad I went.
That night I went dancing at the sailing club in my new dress, and met so many great people. I even saw Michael, my bus friend. He walked me safely back to my guesthouse. Today I'm going to soak in the mud bathes, and tomorrow I depart for Mui Ne to try Kite surfing.
Please keep sending me positive vibes. I need it.
I love you all, and miss you dearly.

No comments: