Friday, June 13, 2008

take a breath and relax

I went back to the dive shop for the 3rd time asking to speak with someone who could translate my statement into Vietnamese for the police department. The owner was suppose to meet me at a certain time, and blew me off, but the dive master was present, and he ordered the shop girls to take me to the police department and help me in any way they could, so that I could receive the paperwork needed for my insurance company to reimburse me the stolen $200 dollars. It turns out that Vietnamese cops are corrupt, big surprise there(!), and that it would take a lot of time and money to do an investigation. I told the girls, the dive master, and my friend that I don't want an investigation since I'm leaving early the next day. All I want is the official paperwork/police report. Well, after a lot of time being jerked around by the police, and feeling frustrated by the owner not taking this crime seriously, the girls, dive master Mike, and I did finally translate my statement, with an acknowledgement from the company typed with a certified stamp. This is at least something official that I can take to the American Embassy in Ho Chi Man City/Saigon.

Mike gave me a beer, and he and I had a lovely chat about the event and life. I was starting to relax, and feel more settled in my body again. He left Ireland 6 yrs ago and has been traveling non-stop, and has had many crazy experiences along the way. The owners wife is the one who did the translation, she is Vietnamese, and her name is My(Mee), and she told me that I should go with Mike to Spot bar and whatever I wanted was 'on the house.' She also promised me that her husband would meet me there in 1/2 hr.

1 hr later he strutted through the door. The 4 of us went to a private table where I received an empty apology. If there's anything I've learned over the last 3 yrs. it''s that actions speak louder than words (Thanks Mark :) I learned a lot of valuable lessons from that wonderful man). Let me describe the Blue Vietnam Dive shop owner: He's my an impressive height of 6'3(like Lee), he has narrow set eyes, a large thick nose, with thin bird lips, his hair is kinky and shaved underneath like the early 90's skater look, which makes his hair stick out to the sides, but it's flat on top. He is about 29 yrs old, has olive skin, and a thick French accent. I looked him dead in the eyes after his empty apology and reminded him of his promise to meet me at a set time, described how I'm been jerked around by his company over the last couple days, which reflects him, described to him what had happened, how it should have been handled, and how I'm thoroughly unimpressed by his unprofessional actions and demeanor. I told him how I have connections in the diving world and how if it wasn't for Mike and My that I would do everything in my power to ruin the reputation of his business, but that I feel justified by plan B, and I will go to Saigon and do the best I can with what I have. He left the table to pout and returned to apologize after Mike had a private talk with him around the corner. They returned and ordered a round of tequila shots to smooth things over.

I feel as though the situation was corrected to the best of every one's ability. All that could have been done was done. :)

After a 6 hr. bus ride I arrived in Mui Ne. The landscape of Irish green rice fields cradled by enormous lavender mts. was an awe inspiring sight to see. The motorbike taxi drivers awaiting the tourists at the bus stop were fair in their prices, and I found Cristine at the Mellow guesthouse with no problems. She and I just enjoyed a delicious seafood meal, and tonight we are going to meet some people she met on her bus. She has a special ticket, so we couldn't travel together. I made some new Vietnamese friends: Quc and Bee. I hope that tomorrow Cristine and I can explore around this gorgeous little beach town. There is a relaxed attitude here. I like it, but I don't want to stay in Vietnam much longer. It hasn't been easy for me here! I don't expect Cambodia to be a walk in the park by an means, but after being hit by a lot of adversity a person starts to crave some peace. Near Mui Ne is the largest reclining Buddha in Vietnam, dragon fruit fields, an impressive red canyon that looks similar to Brice nat'l park, white and yellow sand dunes("don't eat that yellow snow"-Frank Zappa), and a clean white sand beach.

I hope the wind pattern with allow us to go Kite surfing tomorrow, which doesn't look likely. Worse case scenerio, she and I will take a jeep or motorcycle tour around the Mui Ne area to explore these awesome sites before I bolt through Saigon(of course handling the embassy stuff, and getting dollars for the Cambodian border), to then take the Mekong River into Cambodia arriving in Phenom Penn.

sigh.

I have so many mixed feelings lately, so Mui Ne is about re-centering before moving on.

No comments: