Thursday, August 28, 2008

Balinese culture

I've been spending my days walking non-stop to look at the dance, batik art, ornate wooden sculptures, paintings, jewelry, clothes, culinary, natural spas/infrared saunas, etc... I love all that Ubud has to offer in terms of spirituality as well! Tomorrow is a huge celebration to the Hindu deities, and there will be a huge festival. I don't know what to expect, but the locals have been weaving baskets filled with flowers and incense in preparation to set in front of temples, sacred statues, and spiritual locations.
Yesterday my friend Karen and I took a day trip outside of Ubud and biked 35+ km through the mountains of small villages and rice fields to Batur Volcano and Lake. It was a spectacular site! I had breakfast of fresh fruit and a chocolate pancake(with this view in the background: Gorgeous!) to give me energy for the challenging bike ride, which I followed up with an infrared sauna to release the tension.
Every morning and evening I do yoga and meditation, my days are filled with walking, site seeing, healthy food, hanging out with Karen, and the random surprises that find me. I like Ubud even though it can be a little pricey in comparison to what I've been accustomed to in S.E. Asia thus far, but after after the festival I'm ready to travel to the big volcano and hike it! I have to leave at 2 a.m. to begin the hike to make it to the top for sunrise, but I love the sound of the adventure. The most spectacular temple in Bali is located near this volcano. Then I can travel to Amed to do some wreck diving through some old bomber planes. Then I will travel south to take a ferry to the islands to dive with the rare mola mola fish. Google it, it's amazing!

No comments: