Saturday, August 16, 2008

hello Dhamma friends!

Since leaving the meditation retreat center, Liby(Israel) and I spent the afternoon trying to get a bus to take us to Surratthani to meet up with our Dhamma friends at a hotel for dinner, night market exploration, and a beer! A beer! Yum! It had been so long. :) We all went out once Liby and I arrived, and had 20 mins to get ready before the meet time. It was fun. My meditation friends and I even ate some grasshoppers at the night bizarre. I've officially experienced Asia! It was crunchy and delicious actually. We found some yummy Thai street food, and got some tall Chang beers from the 7 11 across the street to drink as we chatted and wandered the streets of Surratthani(a long time coming: talking). We stayed up until midnight talking outside the hotel, which after 10 days of being in bed by 9:30 p.m. to be awoken by a loud bell at 4 a.m., was a real treat!
I made some really wonderful friends through the detox and meditation retreat experiences. :)
The next day I left for Koh Tao, but found out that it was a Thai holiday for the Queen and that I could only go as far as Koh Phangan. Ok. No problem. I joined Anna(Spain), Gurvan(France), and Nikolaus(Germany) to the island. Gurvan and Nikolaus joined me at Silvery Moon Bungalows where we spent our days doing yoga on the beach in the mornings, meditating, having long inspiring conversations about life and our dreams, and enjoyed Koi's Thai yummy food. We spent two days together and had an incredible unforgettable bond. Gurvan and Nikolaus told me they think I'm inspirational and strong, and Gurvan informed me that he believes in me so much that he will do whatever it takes to assist me in opening up my business. He owns the largest consulting firm in Marseilles, France to find investors for businesses, and has many governmental connections. Earlier in my travels I met a man who told me he'll write my business plan for free. His name is Mark, and he's based in London. Well, this journey is certainly allowing me to connect with some helpful and friendly people.
Nichole unfortunately had her baby while I was at the meditation retreat center, but after stopping in Koh Tao for a few hours to see Kelly for her 30th birthday, I made it to Hua Hin to spend a long weekend with Nichole, Ben, and baby Jake. He's a week old and adorable. A healthy baby boy! :D
Getting to Nichole was an adventure in itself. I took at overnight boat, and slept on a pad on the floor of a rocking boat amongst the locals, and awoken by the boat arrival at 5 a.m. We were dropped off in Chumphon, and taken by a short ride in a stuffed mini van to a restaurant to await our bus departure. I had coffee and breakfast with a fascinating man named Philippe(France), and then the owner approached me and said: You can take a bus with everyone else, or you can take a private mini van with me to Hua Hin, because I need to pick up my daughter from the Princess's boarding school, and we can drop you off at the Springfield gold course(2 mins from where Nichole and Ben live). I chose to ride with the sweet older Thai man. He and I watched American comedies, and listened to Enya on the ride through the jungle with our own private driver in the luxurious posh van. We stopped whenever we wanted for food or toilet, and had good conversation on the way. They literally dropped me off at the most convenient location for Ben to pick me up. :)
Ben is taking me to BKK with him Monday morning so we can get our visa physicals. His is for the USA, and mine is for Australia, because I leave for Darwin in 2 weeks. Did i forget to mention that? Oh Yes, I am going to Australia! I have made many Australian friends over my travels that have offered their assistance, so entering a new country and opening a new chapter in my travels is not so intimidating. I've learned a lot over the last 6 months in S.E. Asia. It's going to be ok. :D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I went my last holidays to Koh Samui, to a 5 days meditation retreat, and it was fantastic, first time I did it. Later, I stayed on a resort that I had been reccommended Kamalaya, on the south of Samui. Very nice too.

I have heard that they do 10 days silent retreats near Suratthanni and I intend to go there soon.

Really looking forward to it. Cheers for sharing your trip.

A.