Friday, March 14, 2008

The journey to Tiger Temple!

After leaving Nichole and Ben in Hua Hin I took the van to BKK to meet Sue. The travel van is a local secret, and so far I've traveled on it a few times always being the only white person, but since I know a little Thai I get by, thank god! Let me start by saying that my new friend Sue from Australia is a truly lovely individual. After our first night at Asha(Eh-sha) Guest House in our freezing cold room, she and I awoke and shared a lovely breakfast together, and chatted about what we wanted to do while in BKK. We threw out some ideas, and decided to venture to Tiger Temple!
I love tigers, and always have. So the prospect of being able to touch a tiger delights me to no end. :) She and I inquired how to get there at the desk. We found out it was going much more complicated than we originally thought! We had to take a taxi across town to the bus stop across the river, then take that bus to Kanchanaburi, and then negotiate a taxi to the temple! We learned this would take 2-3 hrs. one way! I looked at her, and she looked at me, and our faces broke out in these gigantic smiles. I said, "Are you down, Sue?" she asked, "Are you?" I was, and so was she, so we went! :)
The taxi ride out there was with a beautiful Thai guy who wanted us to be comfortable, which we were. The bus ride was long, but we sat behind a couple from Texas who we chatted with excitedly the whole way to Kanchanaburi. Our conversation topics included: Travel, career, crazy travel stories, politics: Ron Paul, North American Union, etc... Good conversation! They are very Pro-Ron Paul, and Sue appreciated to hear that Americans aren't in love with Bush or Clinton, which we learned is the impression in Australia. We got a little ripped off with the taxi to the temple, but he was willing to wait for us and take us back, so it felt ok.
We learned that the tigers are not drugged, and that the reason they are so calm with humans is because they are raised from infancy to trust humans. They were raised with and by monks at their meditation camp. All the women must cover there knees and shoulders for the monks, and not wear bright colors of red or orange, so they don't leave the black and white spectrum and stand out to the tigers. That would obviously be dangerous!
Sue and I began walking through the camp when we stumbled upon a monk walking alongside a tiger. Oh my god, YES! We were ushered through the trail of people behind to walk with him and pet the tiger as we walked. :) I stepped in tiger poo, but it was funny because I flung it through the air kicking it off. Then we approached the tiger training camp. Where everyone lined up to be ushered through the valley where the tigers were lounging in the shade. A Thai woman grabbed my hand and my camera, and walked me through the area, introducing me and letting me pet and sit with all 6 tigers, as she took my picture. It was fabulous! Their hair is thick and coarse. One tiger felt me pet him, and he laid his head down and started rubbing his head against my leg as I scratched behind his ears, and pet his gigantic head.
After that wonderful experience that I'll never forget, Sue and I left to find our taxi. It was hot and sticky. Again I daydreamed of chopping off all my hair, hahaha! But I know I'll need it in Chiang Mai where it's cooler. Anyway, we made it to the bus, had some yummy Thai food for lunch. I got to practice my Thai and learn new words, and then we boarded the bus.
Sigh...The most annoying bus trip of my life! Sue and I sat in front of these disrespectfully dressed, stinky, loud, dramatic English people. Half way through the trip one of the girls fainted, and had to be dragged off the bus. It was concerning, but her electrolytes were low, so she just needed some salt/sugar with water. The Thai's were worried and buzzing around her, but as her classy friend said: Sheay wus fwine afta sheay took her poo-tablits. Yuck! The daughter was the most annoying, spoiled, attention-seaking child I have ever had the displeasure to be trapped on a bus with. Sue got a headache from her seat being banged by the child, and her ear constantly being screamed or cried into by this obnoxious 10 yr. old. Luckily we were able to laugh about it, and exclaimed that since we don't have a gun to shoot our bloody head's off with, that at least we can chalk this experience up to being completely unforgettable! hahahaha!
We arrived to our guesthouse after our cab ride, and relaxed to some food,
good conversation, laughs, and drinks.
Today we're heading to the most famous weekend market in all of Thailand. Time to shop!



Sue and I were serenaded at the Chatuchak weekend market.

No comments: