Sunday, March 16, 2008

Muay Thai fight!

Witnessing a Muay Thai fight Live was a top priority on my list of things to do while in Thailand. Today I have put a check mark next to that goal. :) After going to MBK with Sue and Mike(a friend I made last night from Saskatoon, Canada) to buy a cell phone[for emergencies only], the 3 of us took a 40 min. cab ride(120 Baht/$4 dollars) to the Muay Thai arena. It was televised live on Thai t.v., channel 7, and it was a free air-conditioned event! I was on t.v. in Thailand!!! :) If you check it out, let me know.
The arena filled with tribal music and excited cheering fans as the fighters entered the ring. The fighters began by doing a dance, praying, and circling around one another respectfully, but once that bell rang the insanity began. The crowd went nuts! The energy was infectious. I could feel my heart beating through my chest! Sue wasn't so much into it, and left after the 3rd round, which was unfortunate for her because the best fight was the forth, which included the only knock-out punch!
We had great seats, since we weren't betting we didn't have to sit high-up in the bleachers, so we sat in the forth row dead center. After the forth fight, Mike and I were moved to the first row. :)
I had a fantastic time!

In a few hrs. my friend Siraj arrives from Melbourne, Australia. I met Siraj the same way I found Sue: Through TravBuddy, which is an online site for travellers. He, Sue and I are going to get dressed up and take a tuk tuk down to Khao San rd. to explore, and maybe roam through Soi Cowboy.

Sue and I have to purchase our overnight sleeper-car Train tickets a.s.a.p., because we depart for Chiang Mai on Tuesday!

No comments: