Friday, September 12, 2008

Bromo Volcano on Java island

After an amazing 2 dives in Permatean and Menjangan island, Soraya, Willie, and I took the ferry to Java. The cost was cheap, but the weight I'm now carrying is daunting. However, we all managed. Once we arrived on Java we booked the local bus fare to take us to Promoloingo, so we could then take another bus up the mt. to Bromo. We did not anticipate the bus ride to last 8 hrs! Nor did we expect to be hassled, stared at, stuck in the back by the speakers(which is seretly unplugged to avoid being blasted by Indo pop music), or have to deal with the crowd of Muslim men chain smoking clove cigarettes on the bus, or the filthy pollution. It was an adventure to say the least. The bus flew down the road at what felt like 100 mph, and the entire back of the bus turned around to state at the 3 of us like we were a bunch of zoo animals. Random musicians would jump on board and sing, and then ask for donations. this happened over and over, some with an amp and mic. Over and over these men offered us cigarettes, and couldn't believe that were didn't smoke. How absurd! hahahah! They all wanted to shake our hands, and some tried to squeeze between us to sit close. Every one of those men I shooed away with my fan and told them to sit elsewhere out of instinct, and I'm glad for it, because two I saw trying to feel up under a 12 yr old girls skirt, and I slapped him on the arm with my wooden fan, and told him to stop. He did, and apologized.
We arrived at 8 p.m. and it was hot. Also, we were cranky and starving. We found a minivan going up the mt. towards Bromo, and crammed on. On a van which seats 8 comfortable, we squeezed 15. No joke. However, we arrived safely, and when we stepped off the van, the men who aided us with out luggage were wearing snow jackets, because the temperature dropped to 40 degrees f. It was ridiculously freezing! A shock. :O
I went to bed immediately under my blanket shivering, and the girls went for dinner.
We awoke at 3:30 a.m. and took a jeep to the base of Bromo volcano and hiked to the top of the lookout to watch the sunrise. It was cold, but so gorgeous. We warmed our sleepy bodies with ginseng coffee, and watched the sunrise. Once there was light, me, and the other crazy 30 tourists and locals could see the smoke billowing from the crater to the right. The sight was unforgettable, and so far my experience on Java was proving to be very eventful. We hiked down to meet the driver who took us to the base of the crater. We hiked for an hour to the rim, and with our gasping lungs took a nice inhalation of sulphuric smoke, while enjoying the beauty and drama of the landscape. I hiked to the highest point on the rim. Only a few other crazy should joined me. 1/2 later I saw Willie climbing up. We congratulated each other, hugged, and smiled while she took pictures. My camera isn't working.
Once we made it back down the mt. to our hotel to enjoy our pithy breakfast we took an 8 hr. van ride to Yogyakatra, which is the art capital of Indonesia. The ride was chaotic and entertaining. The landscape was beautiful. sigh
I'm tired. I'll rest here 3 days before returning to Bali. I leave soon, and that thought is making me anxious a little. I adore the life of the east, and returning to the western world is foreign.

No comments: