Saturday, September 6, 2008

living in Lovina loca

I took the Perama bus through the mountains of central Bali through cold fog, past monkeys walking on the side of the road, thick foliage, rice fields, women walking with giant baskets full of things on top their head, children running and playing, stinky motorcycles, and the workings of daily Balinese life with colorful batik sarongs blowing in the wind and incense filling my nostrils. The bus was stuffed full of people smiling and gazing out the windows experiencing the visual and kinesthetic beauty.
When I departed the bus, a young man approached me and said 50,000 for Gede's homestay. I looked at his card, and it said everything I was looking for. I said: 45,000 rupees($5), and it's a deal. He said ok. The homestay was clean, comfortable, and linked with a reggae bar. All the sons of Gede are in a raggae band, and the children are very musically inclined! :) They said: Tracy? Oh, like Tracy Chapman!" Everyone says that. :) Every morning they wake me up for breakfast by playing the guitar and singing Tracy Chapman songs, and I happily awake with a smile, do yoga, and make my way to the restaraunt for my fruit salad and warm Bali tea.
:) I love it.
I made a good friend: Willie. She's from the Netherlands, and we negotiated a fare yesterday by motorbike with our young homestay guides: Gecko and Doodi, to visit the cold, blessed, healing springs in the mountains outside Lovina. It was a blast! I made two friends there: Soraya(New Zealand) and David(England). We all went out last night and listened to cover band music by the talented locals. The night ended with a sing along on the beach and watching the sunrise.
Today I'll read me new cherished book: Papillon(the story of Henri Charriere's life and his prison breaks from Guiana). Today is a good day. Everyday is, because no day is the same, and it never will be again.

No comments: