Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The hunt for Mola Mola

I awoke this morning early for my exotic fruit salad and pineapple pancake overlooking the sea, yoga, and packing before my dive. After getting my gear sorted at WaterWorx dive shop we headed out by boat to Nusa Penida on a hunt for sightings of the rare Mola Mola fish. This fish is unique to this region of the world, it is part of the plankton family or sunfish family, and has no tail fin, but a 12 ft. top to bottom fin span. It also weighs 1 ton. On the first dive in my thick full wet suit, I went down to 35m/105ft(roughly), and saw immediately a giant gray reef shark in the blue abyss, and a massive white tip shark, a 3 ft. puffer fish, and an amazing reef! Once I got of to the boat after 40 mins. I saw the Mola Mola's top fin sticking out of the surface of the water. Oh, how it teased us!
On the second dive the drift was too strong. We fought it from ripping us out into oblivion and gulped up our air rapidly, but I saw a 3 1/2 ft. puffer fish, and array of unique schools of fish I've never seen, a gold trumpet fish, and beautiful coral.
Once I returned the scuba staff and I went out for lunch, and then I found a cheap room, since I lost my old one due to premature checkout. I bought a bus ticket, and I leave for Lovina tomorrow, which is where I'll find more diving in the north island, trekking, hot and cold springs, and waterfalls, besides some r & r.
Today was a great day! :D I'm grateful.

No comments: