Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Big Brother Mouse

When you travel you contribute to a cultures economy, but sometimes that is a less personal way to give to a person, or even embrace a culture. I've decided in each country I'm going to do a little volunteer work. In Thailand I donated blood as a contribution. Today after getting things in order with my Vietnam visa, packing, and booking a bus ticket for VangVien(departing tomorrow morning), my friends and I donated 2 hrs of our time teaching English to the local children at a literacy foundation called Big Brother Mouse. We sang, danced, colored pictures for a huge collage, and spoke in English to help them learn. After that I bought a couple bilingual children books(written in Lao and English) that I will give to some kids who pass by my guesthouse tomorrow on their way to school. Working with children is so rewarding, but doing volunteer work is a duty that deserves no reward.

No comments: