Thursday, April 3, 2008

Physical oddities

Ok, something weird happened, and I have to share it with those of you who care, which is probably anyone clicking on my travel events and whatnot. SO, here it goes. First let's back this up to a year and a half ago: When I noticed I had an abnormal lump in my throat. I was diagnosed with Hypo-Thyroidism, which means my Thyroid was underactive and wasn't producing enough hormone. This effects metabolism and temperature. When I saw an Endocrinologist he stuck a very large needle through the tender and delicate tissues in my neck deep into the Thyroid gland, which sits at the base of the center of my throat, to take a biopsy. It was extremely painful!!! He extracted fluid only to inform me that the tests were inconclusive and he didn't know what was wrong, yet he wanted to cut my Thyroid gland out and put me on meds for the rest of my life. Do you realize how serious that is?!?!?! Obviously that wasn't going to fly, so I sought the medical care of a Homeopathic doctor and acupuncturist. The Homeopathic M.D. did her own non-evasive tests and determined I was extremely deficient in Iodine, which is what fuels Thyroid production.
Ahhh! Ok.
Makes sense.
I started taking Iodine pills daily, and immediately began feeling better, but I still had a nodule on my gland, which was concerning! I changed my diet to nutrient rich foods, which included changing my pescatarian diet to omnivore, I took my Iodine pills, increased my exercise, started meditating and praying daily, I even looked at the symbolism of the throat chakra: speak your truth. I researched this disorder to the point where I could have hosted lectures internationally on this topic. I saw no difference in my weight, and the lump was still in my throat, but I was doing everything I could, so I decided not to obsess.
No insurance would touch me in America because of my preexisting condition, and although you can't see me now, my middle finger is in the air as a salute to the United States of America Health Care system.
My parents were extremely concerned, but I told them not to worry, because I believed I would be ok, even though I sometimes spazzed. haha!

Now I'm in Thailand, with a positive attitude, healthy diet, I exercise daily, take my thyroid booster vitamins, pray/meditate/do my yoga daily, and I am now giving and receiving massages daily because of school. I must be doing something right, because I recently noticed that I'm losing weight, and the nodule on my Thyroid is GONE! I said, I cannot feel any abnormality on my Thyroid gland what-so-ever, and I feel healthy(and happy)!
Sigh
THANK GOD :)

Another weird phenomenon: My hair has naturally changed color. It is now dark red!
I'm totally surprised! :D Pleasantly, of course.

*Just our of curiosity. If any of you has any hypothesis or knowledge as to why this happened, please post a comment and enlighten me and my readers.

6 comments:

mwb said...

*Look at eternity as a breath
so when you wake up
your karma will still be tressed
upon the fabric of many experiences
the mind’s ideas are to and fro
but lest you need reason
its o.k. to never know

Tracy Aleksic E-R.Y.T., C.M.T. said...

It IS okay to never know.
You're so right.
Thank you.
It is a blessing, and I honor the gift.

HEATHER said...

WELL, I HAVE CAUGHT UP ON YOUR BLOGS BEEN A BUSY WEEK. I MISS YOU DAILY AND GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL IN LIFE AND SCHOOL. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE MEETING ALOT OF COOL NEW PEOPLE. I MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU DEARLY EVERYDAY. STAY HEALTHY AND SAFE.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are doing well and feeling better. Life is a mystery! Your hair color change may be due to the iodine???

Your photos make me miss Asia. Hopefully we will return next year for a visit.

Love, Diane

Unknown said...

I never knew you had thyroid problems. I've always had problems with my energy. It's so frustrating to be young and full of life but to be limited because of energy. I've started eating better and exercising more and meditating, and I've gotten better also. I think that your in a good place. You had a dream you made it happen and now your living it. Your soul is probably really happy. I think that could have a big affect on your health, as for your hair it could be the change of atmosphere or maybe the food your eating.Either way it's awesome! Can't wait to see more pics, the ones of you with the tiger blow me away

Unknown said...

That seems totally weird that anyone in Western civilization could have a iodine deficiency! We practically breathe iodized salt, which is why no one has goiters anymore. If you have any more problems, you should totally get second opinions from both Western and holistic doctors. Western doctors tend to be ballbags, but going too far from science can be just as bad. I hope things have been sorted out, though!