Wednesday, April 23, 2008

LAOS

Gee(my Brazilian friend) and I left the group in Chiang Rai to head to Laos by bus. The fare was cheap and the ride was only 2 hrs. Immigration was a piece of cake. G and I are at the border town Huay Xai. We have a cheap guesthouse that we've booked a room in just for the night, and tomorrow she and I separate. She heads south by speed boat to the airport in Ventanne, and I have booked a 2 days tour via slow boat along the famous Mekong River. Also known as Opium valley through the golden triangle. The Mekong river connects Thailand, Burma, Laos, and China. I leave bright and early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow night I stay in a hill tribe to arrive in Luang Phabang the following day around 5 p.m. I get the impression Laos is what Thailand use to be before corruption of tourism and the seedy sex trade. The land is beautiful and the people are poor but happy. I have learned that the people go to great lengths to preserve the natural ecological beauty. In Thailand the Lisa, Lahu, Akon, and Karen long neck hill tribes are burning the jungle, because they feel enclosed and want open spaces. In Laos everything is natural, simple, and beautiful. I look forward to tomorrow and the rest of my month long visa stay in this mysterious country. Laos is so primitive, and I must be careful because there are not many hospitals that are easily accessible.
Some of my goals here are to trek, bike, and spelunk with the tribes in the north after a few days in Luang Phabang, and then venture south for kayaking and biking exploration near Vang Vien, followed by relaxation along the 'Land of 4,000 islands.' I will then enter Cambodia.

No comments: