Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Mekong River tour

I paid for a two day slow boat Mekong River tour with 50 other individuals from all over the world. The scenery was mountainous with thick jungle foliage and white beaches. Sometimes you see locals playing in the water, bathing, or washing the clothes or food. At one point it rained so hard we rolled the tarp curtains down for protection, but for the most part it was a spiritually invigorating journey. Some people viewed it as a booze-Cruise, especially when we stopped at a local hill tribe village and ten 7-11 yr old kids jumped on board to sell beer, water, and chips. Both days were 8 hrs in length, and on the hard wooden benches your ass gets mighty sore and numb, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world! It was amazing! It cost $900 Baht or $30 dollars and my sleeping accommodations in the tribe was $200 Baht/$5-6 dollars with a bathroom! High-roller! When the boat docked at the port of the tribe village I was paranoid to let the locals take my bag. I had been warned that you have to pay to retrieve it, so I waited for it, and walked the wooden plank off the ship almost tumbling over if it wasn't for a thoughtful foreigner who assisted me, and then I found my guesthouse rep., and walked with her 3 km up hill while she told me how she liked my nose.
I negotiated the price for an upgraded room with a shower, because what they wanted to offer me for the price I paid was shit. After my shower I heard the storm outside. I made my way to the deck where I met two guys from Liverpool, England. This is an area of England where the accent and personality are so thick, you feel like your in a Guy Richie flick. We went across the street in the rain for dinner, and I had an amazing meal! Everywhere you go the locals ask you if you want Opium, Marijuana, or Boom-Boom. hahahaha! I am in the Opium district. Some of the poverty stricken transients are smacked out beyond comprehension. This town has a 1960's war feel. There is a curfew of 11:30p.m., and the power goes out every night at 10p.m.
The next day on the Mekong trip I sat next to my fun-feisty friends from Liverpool: Sean and Jed. Sean puked off the side to make room for more beer as I meditated, took pictures, and stared off the side into the jungle view listening to my I-POD. I met a Laos guy on the boat who held up a large container of laundry fluid and asked if I wanted a sip. I gave him a confused look, so he poured a little into the cap, and it was Lao whiskey(very strong, but good). I gratefully took a sip. The boat was an old fashioned long tail boat with old fashioned curtains with tassels. The hard wooden benches were slightly cushioned by thin pillows, but I wouldn't call them comfortable. The trip was perfect for people watching. This is one of the most famous rivers in the world. I am grateful to have had this experience!

I have arrived in Luang Prabang, Laos. This is a French city with tons of adventure and culture due to the caves, elephants, and waterfalls. I really like it here, and I will stay until at least the 30th when I retrieve my Vietnam visa from the travel agent ($30 dollars). I do not have Thai cell phone reception, but I do have Skype. Please set up an account so we can speak from the Internet cafes.
I will leave Laos on the 23th of May, and arrive in Vietnam on the 24th for my 29th Birthday to arrive in Cambodia on the 23rd of June. After that I will let you know. ;)

No comments: